Saturday, January 22, 2011

21st of January.

All images in this post are taken from my iPhone with the Instagram app.

The 21st of January looked like this. Blue skies, sun shining, no clouds and 35 degrees celcius (that's 95 degrees fahrenheit for all the Americans out there.)

Not so perfect in my books however, uh uh, no.

It was time for those pesky wisdom teeth to come out.

The day went something like this:

2pm - arrived at hospital. I was ready to run away already. Surely if i wasn't admitted i could still bail out on this, right?

2.30pm - Admitted. Wearing a hospital wrist-band. This is getting too official for my likings.

2.45pm - Taken to Room 147, waiting for the nurse. Trying to tell Dad some jokes to take my mind off things...unsuccessful.

3.00pm - Wearing a gown, booties and cap. Hands are starting to sweat.

3.30pm - Dad's leaving. I'm pretending to watch the tennis when in reality I'm debating an escape route.

3.45pm - Anaesthesiologist comes for a final visit before it's time for the holding bay.

4.10pm - Taken to the holding bay. More like 'torture bay.' Given a warm rug and a magazine. Nurse comes and asks for my details for the fifth time.

4.25pm - Escorted with the surgeon to the operating theatre. Trying to play cool, like i've done this a bajillion times. Not sure if my act is believable. Amused by the fact that the doctors and nurses are listening to the radio in the theatre as if my wisdom teeth operation is a party.

"What school do you go to? What do you want to do when you finish school?" The man asks as he injects something into me. His face starts to contort and move.

Next thing i know, the whole room is spinning and i recall asking if it's normal, then BAM, black.


5.40pm - The room is spinning uncontrollably and I call for a nurse. Legs feel as if they weigh at least 100 pounds.

5.45pm - Hooked up to oxygen through a nose tube. Blood. Everywhere. Not. Fun.

6.10pm - Wheeled back to room. Attempt to eat Jelly. One word: embarrassing.
7.00pm - Back to normality. Dressed and ready to go home. Nurse makes me drink water. Water misses mouth and spills all over my shirt and pants, along with blood. "Good look" the nurse laughs. Again, embarrassing.

7.50pm - Discharged.


7.42pm January 22nd - Resembling a beaten up chipmunk. Blue bruises covering my cheeks. Sore, sore jaw. Tired, droopy eyes. Annoying, yucky stitches. But thank-ful.

Thanks for all your messages of support. I am doing okay.
Time for more jelly.

Much love,

K xx


  1. Awwww! Katherine, my heart is sending you love tonight. What a brave thing you are..and funny too. I had a good giggle reading this post. And you pull of the look in scrubs well my dear, red cap and all.

    Praying for a speedy recovery :)

    - Jane

  2. Awww bless your heart - but I do love that you have documented it all with a sense of humor. I am so jealous of your phone pics. I wish I had a phone that could take pics that good.

  3. Oh no! That just sounds beyond excruciatingly painful! I hope you feel better soon. You sure do rock out a hospital gown though. Cute as can be! : )

  4. Oooohh I can't even imagine going through that! I would be so scared (so much so tyat I probably would have wet myself ;])! Your so brave!

  5. oh my gosh.. pRaying that you feel beetter soon!

  6. ooh! i know how you feel, especially the chipmunk part, my brothers called me Alvin for a while. =) I am glad I did not have to go to the hospital for mine though. Hope you get to feeling better, did you have to get all four out?

  7. Oh my! I could not be so brave. Natural childbirth I can deal with, but this... no way!

  8. praying that you heal fast are back to normal very soon. When I got teeth pulled it was nothing like this . Rest up.

  9. Firstly I'm insanely jealous of your warm weather! It's been quite a bit chillier over here!

    Secondly I hope you feel better very soon!!!

  10. Oh you poor thing, sweetie. I had all four taken out in hospital and it was much like fun at all. The 3rd and 4th day is the worst but then you'll be fine and on the mend.

    I love how you've documented this - awesome work!


  11. haha... you made me giggle, darling! i love your post and also your complete hospital attire! :)

    thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment in my blog. you've got a new follower! ♥haze

  12. You had all four taken out!? You poor thing. I bet you're swollen and sore honey :( Just think though, by blogging this, in weeks and months today you'll be able to come back to this post and know you made it through!

    You are so adorable in your hispital attire by the way, i most definitely wouldn't look that great in those booties and gown!

    Feel better sweetie and take it easy,


  13. Oh dear, I had my wisdom teeth out back in July and I was utterly terrified. It wasn't so bad once i was awake and the freezing wore off. I lived off of lime jello. You will be alright lovely, the worst is over now and you will never have to do it again.

    xx and hugs


  14. Hope you are feeling much better now. I'd had one wisdom tooth taken out, too, but can't remember most of the details. I think it's because my mind has chosen to block it off. :)


  15. ((((Katherine))) I am thankful to hear that it is over...I am praying that you heal quickly and that you are not in too much pain.

    On that same day that it was that warm, it was -27 here with is a whopping 122 difference in temperature...crazy! Take care sweet friend. XX

  16. HI Katherine, I hope you are feeling ok.. Sounds like quiet an experience. I remember when I had mine out it wasn't pleasant. You should be looking like yourself (instead of a chipmunk) soon. Carla

  17. Awwww, you poor thing - I still have my wisdom teeth and dread the day they need to be extracted. Ouch!

  18. Sorry I haven't visited in a while sweet. And what a terrible day! YUK! I do hope you are feeling better beautiful. Much love xx

  19. I had to have mine out, too...think I was 20 at the time. It was SO worth it in the end!

    Hope you're experiencing sweet relief now. XO!


Any comments are more than welcome and greatly appreciated. If you wish to chat further, email me here: